Fast and Easy Travel Across the Canada – US Border
NEXUS is a joint program between the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
The NEXUS program simplifies and streamlines the border clearance process for low risk, pre-approved Canadian and U.S. citizens and permanent residents traveling between Canada and the United States. It is available at select major land border crossings, which is great for frequent cross border shoppers who wish to bypass long lines and wait times at the border when traveling to the US or returning to Canada from a shopping trip.
If you wish to participate in the NEXUS program, you must fill out an application form, undergo a security check and meet certain admissibility criteria.
For a list of participating land border crossings, you can visit the NEXUS website.
NEXUS Program benefits
If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all participating NEXUS ports of entry.
Acceptance into the NEXUS program will allow you to save time by enjoying a quick and simplified entry process while traveling back and forth between Canada and the United States using dedicated lanes at the land border.
You may qualify to participate in NEXUS if you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or the United States and have lived in one of these countries continuously for the last three years.
You may not qualify if you:
- are inadmissible to Canada or the United States under applicable immigration laws;
- provide false or incomplete information on your application;
- have been convicted of a criminal offence, in any country, for which you have not received a pardon (for U.S. background checks you may be questioned about full criminal history, including arrests and pardons, which may exclude you from NEXUS);
- have been found in violation of customs or immigration law; or
- fail to meet other requirements of NEXUS.
Penalties for providing false information can be severe, including denial of entry into the United States, so be sure that the information you provide is truthful and accurate.
How to Apply for NEXUS Membership
To apply to become a member in the NEXUS program, you must follow these steps:
- Complete and submit an application form, including all required documentation and your application fee;
- Meet the program eligibility criteria;
- Be admissible in Canada and the United States under applicable laws; and
- Pass a risk assessment by both countries, including an interview.
For more information and application forms, visit the NEXUS website or call 1-866-NEXUS 26 (1-866-639-8726)
Or contact Border Information Services (BIS) at:
Toll-free in Canada: 1-800-461-9999
Outside Canada: 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply)