Canadian Duty Calculator
Our Canadian Duty Calculator offers cross border shoppers a quickly and easy way to estimate duty rates and taxes on goods being imported into Canada from the United States.
- This tool provides an estimate only and applies strictly to goods imported for personal use. The final amount of applicable duties and taxes may vary from the estimate and will be determined by a border services officer when you arrive at the border.
- Tariff classifications, applicable rates of duty and taxes and other laws and regulations are subject to change from time to time and may not be reflected in this tool. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee its accuracy and users assume the risk associated with any use of this tool.
- The amount of duty and taxes owing depends on your province of residence, not the province where you enter Canada.
- The amount of duty owing is depends on the country where the product was manufactured, not the country where it was purchased.
- Where specific products within a category of goods have different rates of duty, the highest rate has been used to produce the estimate
Duty rates vary greatly depending on the product and the country in which it was manufactured. Goods that are not manufactured in North America and do not qualify for a NAFTA exemption can be subject to hefty tariffs. In addition, many goods that do qualify under NAFTA still attract tariffs. In addition to Canadian customs tariffs, goods imported into Canada are subject to GST plus PST or HST, depending on the province you are importing the goods into.
If you’re having goods shipped to Canada from a U.S. online retailer, you will likely have to pay Canadian duty on the value of the goods, plus GST and PST or HST, depending on the province you are importing goods into. If you’re driving back to Canada after shopping in the U.S., you will have to pay Canadian duty plus GST and PST or HST if your goods exceed your personal exemption limit / duty free allowance. Whether or not you pay tariffs or taxes can largely depend on the Canadian customs official that stops you upon your return to Canada or Canadian customs officer that inspects your goods when they are shipped to Canada.